Technology has evolved, and this advancement is giving impressive results in many sectors. Digital micrometers were innovated recently and have gained momentum on the market. It is because they provide accurate measurements as much as possible. Digital micrometers can measure up to 0.001 mm and 0.0005 inches. The micrometers that were there before could not take such measurements.
Digital micrometers allow the user to convert the readings from one unit of measurement to another by pressing the unit button. That means you can change units from millimeters to inches and verse vasa. The LCD screen allows you to see the readings. Some digital micrometers are equipped with data output connection that enables the user to connect the device to the computer. Therefore, it is essential to consult further to get the best digital micrometer that suits your needs.
Our Favorite Digital Micrometer
Last update on 2021-04-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top 10 Best Digital Micrometer Review
Digital micrometer brands are flooded on the market, and selecting the best digital micrometer is not a walk in the park. They range from budget-friendly to high-end models. We have provided you with the best digital micrometer to help you make a sound decision when purchasing one.
1. Adoric 0-6” Calipers Measuring Tool
The digital micrometer is ideal for household and DIY measurements. Press the blue button if you want to convert the units from millimeters to inches. The digital caliper has four measuring modes; it can measure outside and inside diameter and depth and step measuring. The large LCD screen allows you to get the results precisely. It usually auto-shutdown in five minutes when not in use to save battery.
The digital micrometer is made from rugged plastic carbon fiber composites that make it durable and lightweight, serving you for an extended period. To set it to zero, you need to press the zero-button and measure the next section, thanks to the smart design. You don’t need to worry about the battery as it comes with a pre-installed battery and a spare battery.
- Zero setting function: the digital caliper features a zero setting to allow the user to start a new measurement at any point of the scale. This makes it perfect differential measuring just by a touch of a button.
- It comes with 4 measuring modes: the tool uses a step probe to measure length/height, a long probe to measure depth, internal measuring for inner diameter, and external measuring for outer diameter.
- Large LCD and auto shutdown: the product has easy to read and a large display to quickly provide great results. The caliper goes off after 5 minutes if not in operation.
- Inch/mm conversion: you can use one button quick switch to convert inch into millimeter and vice versa hence saving you time
- The digital micrometer is durable
- It is lightweight and portable
- the micrometer offers four measuring modes
- Large screen display
- Easy to use
- Zero setting function
- Offers Inch/mm conversion
- It easily dismantles when it falls; hence needs a lot of care in handling it.
2. Vernier 6-inch Stainless Steel Electronic Caliper Micrometer Measuring Tool
The digital micrometer will give you the highest accuracy of 0.001/0.002mm and a resolution of 0.0005/0.01mm. It is easy to read and use, thanks to the large LCD screen. Convert your readings into three measuring modes: millimeter, inch, and fractions per your needs with a one-touch button. The device accurately measures the internal diameter, external diameter, step, and depth. The micrometer comes with a brand new battery that allows you to accomplish all your work. The 5-minute non-operation auto-function plays a significant role in saving the battery.
The digital caliper micrometer is made from stainless frame, thumb roller, and locking screw for smooth and accurate positioning. Plus, the IP54 water-resistant feature makes the micrometer suitable for outdoor use. The gadget is ideal for woodworking and measuring jewelry and household objects.
- One-touch switch: the caliper allows you to switch quickly to three measuring modes; millimeter, fractions, and inch. It also has an auto-off function that enables the tool to go off within 5 minutes of non-operation.
- Large LCD and other accessories: it features a large display to ensure the user reads easily. It comes with a sturdy protective case, an additional 3V battery, a mini screwdriver, and a soft cleaning cloth.
- Durable and versatile: it is constructed from a stainless steel frame, thumb roller, and locking screw to allow smooth and accurate positioning. It provides accurate measuring of the inside and outer diameter, depth, and step.
- The digital micrometer is long-lasting
- It is multipurpose
- User-friendly functions
- It gives high accuracy and precision
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to use and read
- It is a bit expensive
3. Digital Micrometer, Professional Inch/Metric Thickness Measuring Tools
The digital micrometer will give you pleasure in your daily work as it offers high accuracy in whatever you are measuring. It is equipped with impeccable features that are user-friendly. The micrometer provides an accuracy of +/-0.0001 and a perfect resolution of 0.0005″/0.001 mm. you can use it for measuring DIY gadgets, jewelry, screws, among other things.
The professional measuring tool lasts for an extended period, thanks to the high-quality materials. The large LCD screen allows you to get precise results as possible. The unit offers two measuring modes: metric and inch. You don’t need to worry about the battery as it comes with two long-lasting batteries. The micrometer comes with a storage hard protective case that protects it from any damage.
- Accuracy and extra accessories: this model has an accuracy of up to 0.0001 inches. It comes with additional features such as a hard protective case for protection and a battery.
- Large LCD and durability: the measuring tool features a large LCD to ensure easy reading. For durability, the device is made of high-quality material to guarantee longevity.
- Inch and metric modes: it features 2 measuring modes to measure in both inches and millimeters. So you don’t need to purchase two separate tools.
- The micrometer has a large LCD screen
- Offers high accuracy
- It’s durable
- Easy to use
- It comes with a protective case
- The unit provides two measuring modes
- It comes with a loose plastic knob
4. iGaging 0-1” Digital Electronic Micrometer
Are you looking for a digital micrometer that is accurate and durable? Look no more. iGaging 0-1” Digital Electronic Micrometer is a perfect choice for you. The unit meets and exceeds all the federal accuracy standards. The micrometer has a hardened and ground spindle with carbide anvil that guarantees high accuracy and hard-wearing. It provides two measuring modes in metric and standard. Get precise readings from the large LCD screen.
The digital micrometer offers an accuracy of +/-0.0001 and a wide range of 0-1”/0-25mm. Additionally, the gadget gives a resolution of 0.00005”/0.001mm. The large LCD is crisp, clear, and easy to read. The measuring tool comes with a case with an adjustment wrench, ball attachment, instruction booklet, and an extra battery.
- Accuracy and large LCD: the model has an accuracy of about 0.00016 inches. Plus, the large display provides precise readings.
- Direct USB output: the measuring tool features a direct USB output to attach it to your computer and store your data.
- Conversion button: you only need to press a switch to convert units from inches to millimeters. The button also can switch from incremental and absolute measuring modes.
- Durability: the model is equipped with superior wear resistance material, which assures longevity. Besides, it has a protective case that keeps the measuring tool safe.
- The micrometer is hard-wearing
- It is easily portable, thanks to the lightweight design
- Direct USB SPC output available
- It comes with a carrying case
- Large LCD
- It is expensive
5. Mitutoyo 293-340-30 Digital Micrometer
Mitutoyo is one of the popular micrometers on the market. It is a perfect choice for anyone who needs high accuracy, making it the best Mitutoyo digital outside micrometer. If you use this digital micrometer, you will see an improvement in measurement efficiency. The micrometer offers a resolution of 0.00005″ (0.001mm) and an accuracy of +/- 0.00005″ that allows you to take measurements even in harsh workshop conditions. The two measuring modes are in inches and metric units. The large LCD will enable you to read the results fast.
If you want to use the micrometer for industrial use, you can ask for the NIST certificate for a small fee. It is designed to offer water and dust resistance, making it ideal for rains or extreme conditions. The nice ratchet stop provides even pressure for precise, repeatable measurements. The digital micrometer is easy to use as you only need to press the four buttons (Zero/ABS, Origin, in/mm, and hold). The unit is powered by an SR44 battery that lasts for an extended period.
- It comes with a ratchet stop and easy to use: with this micrometer, you don’t need to worry about cleaning since you can use it most of the time without cleaning. This makes it easy to use. Thanks to the ratchet stop, which helps you to provide uniform pressure for precise and repeatable measurements.
- Accuracy and coolant proof: the product is dust, air, and water-resistant. It has an accuracy of about 0.00005 inches. It is ideal for measuring exterior measurements in harsh conditions.
- The plastic component and LCD screen are designed to be oil resistant, while the caliper face is carbide-tipped to provide durability. Its screen displays units in inch and metric.
- Superb precision and accuracy
- Great ratchet
- Water and dust resistant
- Offers manual reading in case the battery runs out
- It is oil-resistant
- The digital micrometer is very expensive
6. Allprettyall Digital Caliper Measuring Tool
If you have been looking for a perfect measuring tool, Allprettyall Digital Caliper Micrometer is an ideal choice. It is one of the best digital outside micrometers that gives you accurate, precise readings quickly. The micrometer is suitable for both home DIY and professional use. The unit offers an accuracy of 0.001″/0.02mm with 0.0005″/0.01mm resolution and a wide range of 0-6 inches/150mm. You can use the caliper to measure step, depth, internal diameter, and external diameter. The micrometer offers three measuring modes: millimeter, inch, and fractions.
Allprettyall Digital Caliper Micrometer is corrosion-resistant, thanks to the sturdy hardened stainless steel. The feature also enables the caliper to slide smoothly for better positioning. Do not worry about water or dust as the device is equipped with IP54 grade, making it dust and water-resistant. Get an instant reading from the large LCD. The 6″ caliper allows you to switch the measuring modes with a one-touch button quickly.
- Durable and versatile: the caliper is designed with stainless steel frame, thumb roller, and locking nut, ensuring smooth and accurate positioning. Moreover, it measures the exterior diameter, internal diameter, step, and depth. It is suitable for woodworking jewelry.
- Large LCD and conversion modes: the micrometer features an easy to read display that shows instant reading making it convenient for use. It also has conversion modes to allow you to switch to the millimeter, inch, and fractions.
- Auto switch: it comes equipped with an auto switch making it convenient to use. It also has a button that turns off the caliper after 5 minutes of non-operation; hence no need to worry about the battery running out.
- The micrometer is multipurpose
- It is long-lasting
- Easy to use
- Easily portable
- User-friendly functions
- Offers high precision and accuracy
- No manual reading
7. Vernier Digital Caliper, 6-inch Micrometer
You can use this digital micrometer anytime. The micrometer is affordable and gives you the highest accuracy you need for your various uses. It is ideal for all household DIY and is easy to use even without reading the manual booklet. The micrometer is affordable and easy to use. The measuring tool offers a measurement range of 0 – 6″/ 0 – 150mm, and a resolution of 0.01″/ 0.1mm. The accuracy level is ±0.2mm/0.01″, ensuring you get as accurate results as possible for your different needs.
The digital micrometer allows you to switch the modes from inches to millimeters easily. Plus, it enables you to measure outside diameter, inside diameter, step, and depth. The measuring tool lasts for an extended period, thanks to the premium materials. The large LCD screen is easy to read even in bright sunlight.
- Accuracy and large LCD screen: the measuring tool features a large LCD, making unit reading easy even under strong sunlight. It provides an accurate measurement of about 0.001 inches.
- Measuring and conversion modes: the model comes with 4 measuring modes to measure outside and inside diameter, step, and depth. You can convert units from inch to millimeter easily with the conversion mode.
- Additional accessories: it comes packed with a user manual, 1 ½ year warranty, 3 extra batteries; hence you don’t worry about the caliper running out of battery.
- Large LCD screen
- High accuracy
- Four measuring modes
- It is durable
- Lightweight and portable
- Light use only
8. Meterk Digital Caliper Measuring Tool
This micrometer will make you a happy customer. The caliper gives you convenient and accurate readings. You can use it for household and DIY needs, and it is easy to use. It offers four measurement modes. You can use it to measure inner diameter, outer diameter, step, and depth. The switching function enables you to meet your various needs as you can shift from inches to millimeters by pressing a button. The measuring tool is made of plastic materials; thus, it cannot short circuit, making it safer while using.
Meterk micrometer is equipped with a large LCD that allows the users to precisely read the results. The measuring tool enables you to achieve a high accuracy level of ±0.02mm/0.01″ and 0.1mm/0.01″ resolution. The zero-button allows you to proceed to measure the next section. It will give you a wide range of measurements of 0-150MM/6″. The digital caliper comes with three packs of CR2032 lithium-ion batteries. Each battery lasts for more than a year; hence you are sure that the batteries will last for more than three years. Plus, if not in use, the micrometer will automatically switch off, saving battery energy.
- Large LCD and accuracy: the digital micrometer comes with a larger LCD screen, making it easier for you to read the caliper units. For accuracy, its accuracy is ±0.02mm/0.01 inch making it appropriate for household measurements.
- Four measuring modes and safety: with this micrometer, you can measure internal and outside diameter, depth, and step measurements. It is also made with plastic material to prevent short-circuiting when measuring a battery, or it comes in contact with positive and negative poles.
- Conversion mode and auto shutdown: you can freely and easily switch between inch and millimeter units. Besides, if the caliper stays without operating for 5 minutes, it will auto shutdown hence saving battery energy.
- The caliper gives you an accurate measurement
- It switches off when not in use
- It offers four measuring modes
- Large LCD screen
- It comes with three batteries
- It can easily break after falling
9. Howlite Digital Micrometer
Holite digital micrometers will give you a convenient and high accuracy of 0.002. It is one of the best mechanical digital micrometers. The measuring tool is ideal for hobbyists, machinists, woodworkers, automotive mechanics, DIY, and professionals. The micrometer offers a better grip, and it is wear-resistance to water, oil, and dirt that may lead to inaccurate readings. Read the results even in bright sunlight through the large LCD screen. The digital tool gives a measurement range of 0-1in/0-25mm and 0.00005in/0.001mm resolution.
The digital micrometer lasts for an extended period, thanks to the premium material. The ratchet thimble together with the fixed thimble allows precise pressure application on objects. It offers two measuring modes and quickly converts millimeters to inches with a press of a button. The micrometer comes with a hard case for better storage and protection.
- LCD screen and scale reading: with this model, you can use the two measuring scales. The large LCD screen ensures easy-to-read units, while the scale reading is ideal when there is no power.
- Conversion modes and accuracy: for easy converting between inch and millimeter, you need to touch a button. Interestingly, you can read the units in sunlight, and it has an accuracy of about 0.00005in/0.001mm.
- Hard carbide tip face features improved grip. It is wear-resistant to harsh environmental conditions, including oil, water, and dust—additionally, the ratchet and fixed thimble help regulate an object’s pressure.
- The digital micrometer is hard-wearing
- Offers high accuracy
- It is multipurpose
- Large LCD screen
- It comes with a carrying case
- It is expensive
10. SHONSIN Scale Digital Caliper
It is another measuring tool with incredible features to give you tremendous and accurate readings. It is one of the best digital brake micrometers. With an accuracy of 0.001″ / 0.02mm and 0005″/0.01mm resolution, you are guaranteed of superior readings. The unit also gives a wide range of measurement of 0 to 6″/150mm. The digital caliper enables you to measure the internal diameter, external diameter, depth, and step measurements without worrying about the battery, as it comes with a long-lasting battery. Besides, the device auto shuts off after five minutes when it is not functioning to save battery.
SHONSIN Digital Caliper is made from premium stainless steel; hence it is durable and sturdy. The large LCD screen allows you to read the readings precisely. The caliper is IP54 waterproof; this means that the measuring tool will still function even if it accidentally falls in the water. In case this happens, ensure you dry it well before using it again.
- High-quality build: the caliper display case is constructed from premium stainless steel material to guarantee durability. It also has a high brushed caliper tool, and a ruler makes sliding smooth.
- 4 measuring methods and accuracy: the four measuring modes measure outside and inside diameter, depth, and step values. It has an accuracy of about 0.001″ / 0.02mm
- Scale function and auto-switch: it features a scale function to keep track of its origin point. Plus, you can auto switch on while measuring and auto shut off after 5 minutes of non-operation.
- The digital caliber is durable
- Offers extreme accuracy
- IP54 waterproof
- It auto-off when not in use
- Large LCD screen
- Easy to use
- It is a little bit heavy
Buying Guide for Best Digital Micrometer
With so many micrometers in the market, it might be challenging to choose the proper micrometer. You should consider these factors to help you in making the right decision. Here are factors that will help you in your decision-making before purchasing one.
Keep in mind the durability of the micrometer since you will use it a lot. You should prefer a caliper made of premium stainless steel to guarantee longevity. You will not worry about working with it in harsh environmental conditions because of its durability, sturdiness, and reliability.
Another factor to consider is the conversion modes the micrometer comes with. It is necessary to choose one that can measure fractions, millimeters, and inches. It will help the user to make accurate measurements with exact readings.
It is also necessary to check its battery life before purchasing it. Ensure it has long-lasting life to prevent switching off while using it.
Easy to use
You should choose a caliper that is easy to operate. The best micrometer needs to have a large display, a sliding ruler, a smooth jaw movement, and a sensitive thumb wheel to make it convenient for use.
With the 1054 protection technology, it protects the micrometer from dust, water, and insects. It ensures that the tool lasts longer.
Zero buttons and auto shut off.
It is also necessary to choose a digital micrometer with zero buttons to set your current position to zero and power on the caliper. If the tool is left inactive for 5 minutes, it automatically turns off the device, saving energy.
You should also choose a caliper with at least 4 measuring modes for measuring inside and outer diameter, step, and depth measurements.
The micrometers are designed in various lengths ranging between 4 to 12 inches. Ensure you choose a tool that suits your needs and preferences.
How do you Use a Digital Micrometer?
You need to carefully and adequately handle digital micrometers to provide accurate measurements. Here are steps to follow when using a digital micrometer right:
Step 1: Cleaning and drying the surface
Make sure you clean and dry the object surface with a clean cloth. Clean the cover of the outside micrometer. Also, remember to clean the anvil and spindle of the micrometer.
Step 2: close the spindle to the anvil.
Carefully close the spindle and anvil surface until they touch each other. Also, ensure the zero on the thimble aligns with the sleeve or barrel’s central line, then switch on the digital meter. If the reading is 0.00, then the caliper is calibrated. However, if it doesn’t show a 0.00 reading, you need to calibrate it based on the measurement range.
Step 3: turning on the conversion button
After calibrating the micrometer, don’t touch the surface. Switch on the inch and millimeter buttons and choose your preferred unit.
Step 4: Use a ratchet to open the surfaces
You can use a ratchet to open the measuring surfaces. Rotate the measuring object between the surfaces and close the spindle until it touches the object’s surface. Ensure the spindle and anvil are perpendicular to the object. Also, don’t close the ratchet very tightly.
Step 5: locking reading with a button
When the reading appears, lock it with a lock nut button to prevent the readings from changing or fluctuating.
Step 6: Read the markings on the sleeve and thimble
Because the digital caliper gives precise and accurate readings, it is crucial to note them for future use. Read the markings where the thimble stops at it on the right of the sleeve. You can also read the marking on the thimble; if it reads between 5 and 6, you need to estimate it.
What is Digital Micrometer?
A digital micrometer is a device that uses an electronic circuit to process capacitance into numbers. With this caliper, you don’t need to make any calculations because the results are displayed on the LCD screen. Some digital micrometers also come with an output USB to transfer the device’s data measurement to a computer. Most people prefer purchasing digital calipers to get fast, easy, and accurate readings.
Parts of a digital micrometer
- A frame is either U-shaped or C-shaped to position the anvil and the barrel of the micrometer.
- Anvil is mounted at the caliper’s start to hold the object until the spindle moves towards the object and holds it firmly.
- The spindle gravitates towards the object to secure it in the proper position.
- A lock is mounted to secure the spindle and lock the readings
- LCD screen display results obtained through measurements
- The barrel helps to take accurate measurements up to 0.001 degrees.
- Thimble is a scale that measures millimeters.
- Ratchet found at the end restricts the pressure applied to the calibrated torque.
Advantages of using a digital micrometer
- Easy conversion
- Reduces errors
- Instant readings
- Easy calibration
- Transferable data
- Sensitive to harsh environmental conditions
- Require batteries often
How do you adjust a digital micrometer?
- If you want to calibrate your digital micrometer, follow the following steps:
- Loosen the set screw
- Use the friction stop to close the micrometer
- In the hole of the external cylinder, place a comprehensive end of the wrench.
- Rotate the cylinder using the wrench
- Ensure you align to 0.1and then close the set screw firmly
What tool is used to calibrate a micrometer?
The tool used to calibrate a micrometer is a gauge block. This is because no other standards are accurate compared to gauge blocks.
What are the advantages of using a digital micrometer?
There are many advantages of using a digital micrometer. First, it has a conversion button that allows you to convert the readings from millimeters to inches. Zeroing in a digital micrometer is so easy compared to mechanical models. Also, the majority of digital micrometers auto-off when not in use to save the battery.
What is the micrometer least count?
The micrometer least count is 0.01mm. Higher precision instruments can decrease the least count error.
How do you read a micrometer?
Reading a micrometer is super easy. You will just let the thimble rotate around the sleeve until it stops. When it stops, read the markings on the sleeve, including decimals.
Digital micrometers are essential measuring tools. They are used to measure jewelry, households DIY, among other measurements. With the advancement in technology, there are digital micrometers that offer more and convenient accuracy. For you to get the best digital micrometer, look for a device with excellent resolution, superb accuracy, complete buttons, dust and water-resistant, and carbide-tipped measuring faces.
Digital micrometers are flooded on the market, but the above are among the best. This will help you to make a sound decision when you want to purchase one.